Monday, November 16, 2009

What do you do when your friends ditch you?!

I consider myself a very loyal and trustworthy friend. I'm the type of friend that would go to bat for my best friends in any circumstance and would put my neck out on the line if I had too to defend a friend in need. I have had the same friends for years- and I am still best friends with people from high school. Instead of just one best friend, I have about 7 or 8 but hold these 7 or 8 people very closely.

I was really ticked off 2 days ago at the Royal Winter Fair when I got a TEXT from my best friends that really felt like a punch in the gut.

My 3 best friends from home and high school were suppose to come to the Royal Winter Fair for the first time ever. This would also be the first time the 3 of them made any attempt to come visit me in Guelph. They have yet to visit me while I was at school or even after I graduated.

We had been working on setting up a trip for them to come to the Royal for weeks and everyone was super pumped for the big trip to TO! I got a facebook message about 3 days before I went back to the Royal from my one friend who said she thought she was coming down with the flu (possibly H1N1) so she would not be able to make it.

Ok, totally understandable- fine. Then there were 2 friends left for the big adventure.

I woke up this past Saturday, excited for the arrival of my 2 other best friends who were suppose to arrive at 2:00 on the train that day. I got a text at 11:00 that morning from the second friend who said she had tried to take medicine the night before because she thought she was coming down with something but didn't feel any better and so she couldn't come. WOW, I couldn't believe what I was reading! She couldn't even call me to tell me she couldn't come after I was expecting them in 3 hours?!

And then to make it worse, my last friend said she didn't really want to come because she didn't want to travel alone.

So, long story short- my 3 best friends didn't end up coming to the Royal. Should I be as mad as I am?! I feel really let down considering it seemed so easy for all of them to bail. If I had made plans I wouldn't have a) bailed as easy but b) I would have at least called if I couldn't come. I realize that it is flu season and stuff like that happens but I really feel like they didn't even make the extra effort to come, when I probably wouldn't have came even sick if it were me.

Am I in the right to be upset?

Pin It!

1 comment:

Micaela said...

You are definitely in the right to be upset! This weekend was one thing especially if they really did have the flu, but not visiting you at all while you were in Guelph for four years??? That is terrible best friend behaviour.